Transparency and Complaints Policy



Speak to an expert solicitor about our fees today, by calling 01970624244.  

At Godwins Solicitors, in as many cases as possible, we charge in line with the guidelines on hourly rates set down by the local county courts from time to time.

Where we are charging on a time-spent basis, we will always tell you what our hourly rates are and provide you with an estimate of your costs at the very outset. 

We can set threshold levels for costs, which we will not exceed without your authority, to ensure that you have control over the fees you are incurring. 

In some cases, we will be able to act for you on a fixed fee basis. This usually applies to conveyancing, wills, and other similar types of work.

We are obliged to add VAT to our hourly rates. 

If you would like to know more about our hourly rate charges, contact us today for a free, no obligation discussion.


COMPLAINTS POLICY - Complaints Procedure


If you are dissatisfied with the service, we have provided then you have the right to complain. The Legal Ombudsman service has been operational since October 6th, 2010 and is ultimately responsible for ensuring that complaints are dealt with appropriately. However, before you contact the Legal Ombudsman you must first register an official complaint with us. Normally, the Legal Ombudsman expects you to give us 8 weeks to try to resolve the matter. If after 8 weeks you are still dissatisfied, you can then involve  the  Legal Ombudsman. For more information on how the Legal Ombudsman works please  visit the Legal Ombudsman website.


In normal circumstances you are required to register a complaint within one year.  You must then give us 8 weeks to try to resolve your complaint before contacting the Legal Ombudsman. A complaint to the Legal Ombudsman must normally be made within six months of the date of the conclusion of the Firm's complaints procedure. In summary:

  • You must register your complaint with us within one year
  • The Legal Ombudsman expects you to give us 8 weeks to try to resolve your complaint
  • After this time, you can contact the Legal Ombudsman (but you must do so within 6 months)

Getting Started

To register a formal complaint, please write to us and include all the information suggested by the Legal Ombudsman - their website includes some useful checklists and sample letters.

In addition to the Legal Ombudsman, several other complaints bodies exist which are also able to deal with complaints about legal services - these are: Pro Mediate, Small Claims Mediation and the European Online Dispute Resolution platform. Information about these alternatives can be found at:

Go to top